Wednesday 4 May 2016

Alexandra's GOLDen Journey!

How did you get into Girlguiding? 

Lucky enough to grow up overseas,  I didn't  know what Girlguiding was about until my late 20s, while studying for my professional accountancy exams. Caroline, also studying, was telling me about her amazing adventures with her guides!
My first night was a combined section comic relief Danceathon! I love dancing, had a great night, and got my First Badge! It was great to see girls interacting across the ages, having fun and keeping fit.

I've just had my 1st Guide Anniversary and hope to finish my LQ this year. What a fantastic year it has been: Flip Flop Fling, canal adoption programme, safe space training, The Big Gig, Remembrance parade, and World Thinking Day sleep over.

What do you think is special and unique about Guiding?

I love that girls can be children and enjoy the adventure that entails, in a safe environment where they are encouraged to be confident and question the world around them. There is pressure for children to grow up fast but my unit love camping, so we take every opportunity to go, as the girls become more self reliant and confident, face new challenges and support each other to overcome fears.



Any favourite moments or memories?

We ran a Remembrance day sleepover and 2 serving female soliders ran command tasks and spoke,  followed by an interactive session with our local female vicar. It was great to see the girls interested in how different jobs can impact the world around them and give them inspiration be their best.

Why did you apply to Go for GOLD?

I was recommended to apply for GOLD, I had never heard of it. When I started researching, I was fascinated!. My impression of Guiding was a local focus, however this focus on local communities is worldwide.

Having always been involved with charity work, and in China teaching and working with migrant families, I was curious to see how a Guiding project could bring about sustainable community development in exciting locations.  I am excited to see how the team can help the Guiding community in Aruba develop in the years to come.

How do you feel about the upcoming expedition?

With excitement I can only count the days till third briefing weekend when we will start planning our programme- when the project will become very real indeed. The thrill of landing in a new country is one of the best feelings, you never know what you will experience and how you will be challenged!

No comments:

Post a Comment