Tuesday 9 August 2016

All about Anne, our fab first aider!


 In volunteering, I have not had much interaction with other young women my age, and I felt GOLD would be a good opportunity to do this, whilst giving back. As an adult member of Girlguiding, I absolutely loved the Go for Gold weekend which was part of the selection process for GOLD. This was the first time I had participated in a Girlguiding event that wasn't for Brownies. The weekend was a  fantastic adventure full of different challenges, games and some unexpected twists and turns.

'this was the first time I had participated in a Girlguiding event that wasn't for Brownies'

I joined as a Rainbow with 30th Halifax St Jude’s and stayed through to Guides. For my Duke of Edinburgh I went back to my Brownie unit to volunteer, and I'm still here! I believe Girlguiding is special because it is truly an inclusive environment where every girl can be themselves.

As part of my GOLD fundraising, I held a cake stall in my town centre, and this was the first time I had promoted Girlguiding within the community. Some girls had very traditional views of Girlguiding; asking if ‘you had to get everything right’, and some parents seemed concerned about the expense of an extra activity. Some people are unaware of the fantastic opportunities the organisation offers at such an affordable price.

'GOLD has definitely taught me that you can't say yes to everything!'

Balancing GOLD with other commitments has been difficult. I unexpectedly became the Brownie Unit Leader in March, after the sudden death of our Brown Owl. This meant completing my Leadership Qualification and Pack Holiday Licence. Doing this, along with GOLD, University, and work has been pretty hectic! I have been late completing tasks and missed phone conferences, however, my team have been extremely understanding and supportive. GOLD has definitely taught me that you can't say yes to everything!

Top activity learnt through GOLD has to be 'Ride my Tuc Tuc', my Brownies love this game! I'm not even sure if we’re singing the song to the right tune anymore, but regardless they love it! We recently adapted it to our Harry Potter Pack Holiday theme, singing ‘Riding on my broom’

No comments:

Post a Comment