Sunday 17 September 2017

Challenges Complete...and more!

GOLD (Guiding Overseas Linked with Development) is about developing guiding through our project, but also about developing ourselves. We've gained a whole variety of new skills during our trip: driving on the right, surviving parachute games in 30 degree + heat, perfect sunset photography, effective sun cream application, ant infestation management, half-decent cocktail making and, in Helen's case, avoiding allergy-inducing cats! However, at the start of the trip we set out with six specific challenges in mind, one for each member of the group. In true teamwork fashion, though, we helped each other out in their completion. Now we're back in the UK, we can reflect on our accomplishments:

Laura's Challenge = To read a book

Largely on our rest days, Laura made some valiant attempts to devour Malala's autobiography and has progressed through a few chapters. However, more noteworthy, instead of reading a book Laura has essentially written one, with her final hours waiting for a connecting plane back to Scotland spent getting up to date with her trip diary - a mammoth feat!

 

Amy's Challenge = To not get sun burnt

This is where the sun cream application skills came into their own. Despite two slighted toasted days (the sun on the beach and in the pool is not to be underestimated), Amy was by and large successful in remaining burn free. Her diligence was admiral - suggesting that a hat would be a sensible precaution against uncomfortable burns even when swimming at sunset.


Rachel's Challenge = To get a selfie with a donkey

It is safe to say that Rachel went above and beyond converting her challenge to a collection of selfies with the wildlife of Aruba. Donkeys, cats, lizards and even Speedy Gonzalez the tortoise made the list! A picture's worth a thousand words:



Bridget's Challenge = Beach Yoga

Not enough? How about sunset beach yoga? We all got in on Bridget's challenge (because why wouldn't we...) and over the three weeks developed passable tree and triangle poses. Perhaps by debrief we'll be attempting full on sun salutations but it just won't be the same without the sand between our toes.



Pippa's Challenge = Find the Jamboree Attendee's

This one was partially accomplished early on as we met Rose-Ann on the very first day of training in Aruba. She was 17 at the World Scout Jamboree in the Netherlands in 1995, and we later discovered that one of the leaders with the group was her mum. We also found many young women keen to attend the 2019 Jamboree in the USA - so the cycle of international guiding encounters will hopefully continue!



Helen's Challenge = Handstands

Practised first in the pool and then on the beach (for health and safety reasons), Helen's handstand really came on leaps and bounds during the trip. Photographic proof:


Whilst these challenges were a little bit of fun that kept us motivated throughout our project, we also did some serious learning. 

Speaking for myself, though I'm sure some of it's the case for the others too, nearly four weeks after leaving the UK I am coming back having learnt more about guiding, more about the world and more about myself. Things I would never have learnt without this opportunity and people, places and experiences I will never forget. This time last year, due to a variety of personal circumstances, I was reluctant to put myself forward for a GOLD project, but looking back now I am so pleased and relieved and ecstatic that I did. We never know what the future holds for us as individuals until we live it, but through guiding we enable girls and young women to discover their full potential and others often do the same for us. Each and every person I have met and worked with on this project has taken their guiding light, shared its glow and illuminated potential paths. I still don't know where my life will be headed next, but I have so much inspiration of where I could go. 

"No one can pass through life, any more than you can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after in finding their way." 
- Robert Baden-Powell 

Pippa x


1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete